Contact

mail@gemini-theme.com
+ 001 0231 123 32

Info

All demo content is for sample purposes only, intended to represent a live site. Please use the RocketLauncher to install an equivalent of the demo, all images will be replaced with sample images.

The history of Our Lady of Perpetual Help officially began in 1950 with the first Mass celebrated on December 24. The parish began 300 families strong. The first permanent building on the parish grounds housed the church, the school, and the sisters' quarters. A convent (now the Parish Office Building) was built in 1953. The Sisters of St. Francis (Oldenburg, Indiana) had a presence in the school for 50 years. Various parish groups formed in the 1950's including a Women's Group (Madonna Circle), Men's Group, Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts. A Girl Scout troop was established in 1964.


By the end of the 1960's the parish had grown to 850 families. A new church was built and dedicated on November 19, 1967. One standout feature of the new church was a Steiner tracker action organ that is still in operation today. The new church also included a large basement to host major parish and civic functions. This basement is known as Wagner Hall and is named after Fr. Charles Wagner who was instrumental in getting the church built. 

The 1970's were predominantly under the pastoral leadership of Fr. Jim Sweeney. During this time, the school continued to grow and benefit hundreds of students and their families. The Parish Pastoral Council and Parent Teacher Organization became firmly established. The parish continued to grow closer as a community through a 25th Anniversary Celebration, Parish Renewals/Retreats, and an active Social Committee that sponsored Progressive Dinners to help parishioners get to know one another. 

The 1980's witnessed an expansion of lay leadership. The full time positions of Director of Religious Education, Coordinator of Youth Ministry, and Pastoral Associate were added to the parish staff. The presence of religious sisters in the school dwindled while capable lay educators stepped into vacant teaching positions. Parish structure and lay leadership became more defined with the development of commissions and committees in the areas of Catholic Education, Youth Ministry, and Liturgy.

The 1990's ushered in greater community and social outreach by the parish. It was early in this decade that Our Lady co-sponsored two soup kitchens (Wednesdays and Fridays) with other Christian Churches in New Albany. This outreach continues to this day. Our parish St. Vincent de Paul organization also had its humble beginnings at this time. The first Main Event was held in 1991 to help raise additional funds for the parish and school. A major improvement to the church was central air conditioning. A successful capital campaign took place late in the decade which resulted in eight new classrooms, a new gymnasium, a dedicated library, and a remodeled kitchen and cafeteria for the school. 

2000-2019 were marked by significant growth of parish ministries and opportunities to serve. Some new ministries that came to life were the Ministry of Consolation, a Resurrection Choir, Health Ministry, Parish Retreat Team, Parish Feast Day, Parish Newsletter and more. New and more technology for Catholic education and parish business was a priority. Growth and interest in faith formation for people of all ages flourished under Fr. Paul Etienne, Fr. Eric Augenstein, Fr. Eric Johnson and continues with our current pastor, Fr. Joseph Feltz. Another successful capital campaign along with generous gifts to the parish allowed for improvements to Wagner Hall that included renovation of the kitchen. The church sanctuary was remodeled with beautiful hardwood floors, new lighting, and a larger baptismal font. The church vestibule was remodeled with a drop ceiling, air conditioning, new lighting, and a new restroom. Currently, the parish has close to 900 households.